Travels With Trish: Saratoga, NY
For the last four years I have been driving iconic Saratoga Springs to drop off and pick up my daughter who is going to college at Skidmore. I didn’t know much about this beautiful town before but I have come to absolutely love it and will miss my trips to see her now that she is graduating! Just 3 hours from Summit, it is a wonderful weekend destination with a large assortment of accommodations in every price range!
Some of my favorite touristy spots:
- Saratoga Spa State Park: a National Historic Landmark that offers something for everyone. Known for is Saratoga Performing Arts Center, the Spa Little Theater, the National Museum of Dance, the Saratoga Automobile Museum, the Gideon Putnam Resort and Roosevelt Baths and Spa, the park offers a multitude of traditional recreation opportunities including swimming, golf, picnic areas, hiking and nature trails, running courses, and plenty of winter activities.
- The Saratoga Race Course: opened over 150 years ago, horse racing comes alive every summer here from from July to September. Whether you are a horse-racing afficinado or a first-timer you will enjoy the very best in thoroughbred racing from the timeless Grand Stand.
- National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame: worth the time to browse through this museum chock full of thoroughbred racing history and legend. With photos, footage, art, trophies and more, there is something for everyone here.
- Congress Park: in the heart of Downtown, a beautiful little park that houses the historic Canfield Casino. Great for a stroll around the parks fountains and in the warmer months you can always find a place to picnic. During the summer while the track is open, the park is host to concerts, art shows, festivals and other fun events.
- Historic Downtown along Broadway: This strip of downtown Saratoga offers shops, dining, and more!
Some of my favorites shops include:
- Saratoga Olive Oil Company
- Saratoga Tea and Honey
- Kilwins Chocolates
- Northshire Bookstore
- Silverado Jewelry Gallery
- Mountainman Outdoor Supply: Outdoor gear/your REI of SaratogaSaratoga Saddlery - more than just riding gear
- Soave Faire: Reminiscent of a five and dime, but so much more!
- G. Willikers: A toy store with fantastic window displays!
- Putnam Market: Sandwiches/Salads
- Brook Tavern: American (Friendliest Staff!)
- Mouzon House: French Creole
- Duo: Sushi
- Olde Bryan Inn: Pub fare
- Boca Bistro: Mediterranean
- Karavalli: Indian
- 15 Church: American/Fine Dining
- Cantina: Mexican